This is one of my most favourite soup recipes and it’s always a winner with my family. I haven’t ever used yellow tomatoes before because they are rather scarce in South Africa and when you do find them then you pay a lot, so overall just not worth it. But wow, when you find these gems in the street markets in the Netherlands be sure to buy some! They are a good source of Vitamin A, calcium, iron, sulphur, and potassium. And the orange and yellow pepper are high in Vitamin C. So you are guaranteed a soup jam-packed with vitamins and good nutrients 🙂
One thing that the cold in the Netherlands does do is make me crave comforting soups and stews, so we have made a lot of these lately. Spring for who?? It’s just a constant winter so far… I’m curious to see if the myth of summer is true… Anyways, this soup is such a winner because it’s just so different and hearty but still fresh. The orange juice gives a beautiful, delicate sweetness that is a somewhat surprise for a soup. Hope you enjoy!
- 4 medium sized yellow tomatoes
- 1 large yellow pepper
- 1 stick of celery
- 1 orange
- a handful of parsley
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 vegetable stock cubes
- 1 large leek
- olive oil
- Wash all the vegetables. I’ve found it best to cut the leek in quarters lengthways and washing it like that to get all the sand out. Dice the onion and chop up the leek and garlic. Add to a large pot with a glug of olive oil and set on low heat to start sweating.
- Cut the tomatoes up into cubes, slice the celery and cube the yellow pepper. Place into the pot with the onion and turn to medium heat.
- Chop the parsley finely and sprinkle into the pot. Crumble the stock cubes over the veggies. Roll the orange on the counter (this gets the most juice out), cut it in half and squeeze into the pot. Season with salt and pepper. Allow the vegetables to sweat and bring out their flavours before adding water.
- Add about a litre of water to the pot and bring to the boil on high heat. When boiling, take the heat down to medium and cook for 30 mins to an hour. Enjoy!!