If you’re tired of the sugar-filled cereals from the shop shelves then this one’s for you. I was also sick of being told absolute lies that the cereal I was buying was good for me because it has xyz vitamins. The truth is they strip the main ingredients (such as the puffed rice) from all their nutrients to extend their shelf life and then add in vitamins in the end to promote that they are “good for you”. No hun, they aren’t.
And to top it all off, they add extreme amounts of sugars to make the cereal taste good after they’ve been stripped of all their goodness! This makes us keep buying them because they taste so delicious but getting a sugar spike in the beginning of the day is only going to lead to a drop later. It’s not worth it.
So now what? If you can’t get your quick-fix off the shelf then what are you going to do for a quick breakfast? Gal, this cereal is not only crazy damn good, but it is super quick to make. You can even make it on the weekend then store it in an airtight container for the week to come. No more nasty sugary cereal for you or the kids! Let’s take back our control of what we put in our bodies. And I guarantee that this tastes better than any cereal you can buy off the shelf 🙂
Homemade Cocoa Puff Cereal
- 1 cup puffed rice
- 1 cup oats (use gluten free oats to make this recipe GF)
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 5 medjool dates, chopped into pieces
- 2 tablespoons dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons nuts of choice (almonds, pecans, cashews), chopped
- 2 tablespoons desiccated coconut
- 4 tablespoons nut butter (I use peanut butter)
- A dash of cinnamon
- Simply throw all of these ingredients into a pot and mix until well combined.
- Turn the stove on medium heat and allow the mixture to toast until fragrant and golden (about 6 minutes).
- Dish up into bowls and serve with yogurt or milk (use plant-based milk or yogurt to keep it vegetarian). You can also slice fruit into it to make it even more wholesome. Enjoy your homemade cereal!
- You can store this in an airtight container for up to a week.
Looking for more healthy breakfast ideas?
Have a look at my delicious recipe for Creamy Oats with Stewed Berries