Modified Melanzane alla Parmigiana
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 3 teaspoons mixed italian herbs
- 1 cube vegetable stock
- 2 large aubergines
- 50g grated cheddar cheese
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 cup of sliced mushrooms
- 1 handful of fresh basil
- 200g cous cous
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 80g parmesan cheese, grated
- Olive oil
For the Melanzane alla Parmigiana:
- Thinly slice the garlic and fry in some olive oil in a pot. Add the tin of tomatoes and 2 teaspoons of the mixed italian herbs. Fill the tin with water and add it to the pot. Crumble the stock cube in and allow the mixture to bubble away. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Slice the aubergines about 1cm thick and cook in a pan with a bit of olive oil, allowing to char a bit. You might need to do this in batches if your pan is not big enough. Once done, set aside in a bowl.
- You can do this next part on either a stove or in the oven. Get a dish (or pan if using the stove) and spoon some of the tomato sauce into the bottom of the dish, enough to cover the base. Layer the base with aubergine slices then sprinkle a bit of the grated cheddar cheese, a bit of the spinach, some sliced mushrooms, and a couple basil leaves over the aubergines. Spoon some of the tomato sauce over this.
- Repeat this layering process until you have used up all of your ingredients. For the final layer, top with the parmesan cheese. If using a pan, cover with a lid and set on low heat and cook until cooked through and the cheese has melted. If using the oven, cook at 180 degrees celsius for 20 minutes.
For the Cous Cous:
- Put the cous cous in a small pot with 1 cup of water. Season with salt, pepper and 1 teaspoon of mixed Italian herbs.
- Set on low heat with the lid on for about 10 minutes. Add 1 tablespoon butter and use a fork to fluff the cous cous and work the butter through.
- Put the lid on to allow it to steam until needed.